At Philip Morris USA, our marketing goal is to find ways to effectively, responsibly and profitably connect our brands with adult cigarette smokers. We hope adult smokers will choose our brands.
PM USA is guided by Altria Group’s Mission
, as well as Altria's Code of Conduct
, and is committed to marketing our products responsibly by building relationships between our brands and adult smokers while taking steps designed to limit reach to unintended audiences.
We compete in the U.S. cigarette category with brands such as Marlboro
, Virginia Slims
. We design our marketing programs to enhance brand awareness, recognition and loyalty among adult smokers. We want adult smokers of our brands to purchase our brands consistently; and compete for adult smokers of competitor brands to switch to our brands to grow our market share.
We have practices in place to focus our marketing activities toward adult smokers while limiting reach to unintended audiences.
Instead, we primarily connect with adult smokers in two ways:
- One-to-one consumer communications, which include direct mail, email, consumer websites and consumer marketing activities with age-verified adult smokers 21 years of age or older.
- At retail, where we present our brands to legal-aged cigarette smokers at the point of purchase. We offer programs to help merchandise our products and to help restrict underage access to cigarettes.
We have programs in place designed to connect with our intended audience while helping to prevent underage
access to cigarettes. For example:
- Age Verification: We communicate one-to-one with adult smokers, and use procedures to verify a person is 21 years of age or older prior to sending any branded information or allowing access to our consumer websites. To assist retailers, we support the We Card® program that helps train and assist retail clerks to check ID's before selling tobacco products.
- In-store access: We work with retailers to restrict product access. Our retail merchandising program requires retailers to comply with applicable laws and regulations, including those that require merchandising cigarettes in a non-self-service manner. This program also includes additional measures that are not mandated by federal law to help reduce potential underage access.
- Product placement requests: We deny requests for permission to use or display our brands in any movies or television shows or other public entertainment media.